We are always thrilled to take new volunteers on board. There are numerous ways for you to get involved – from mentoring a young person or coaching football, to advocating on behalf of refugees and asylum seekers in need, or even providing one-to-one mental health support to members of the community.
Volunteer Application Form
London Afghan International Film Festival
Film Festival Volunteer (Marketing and Communications)
Hours: 5-8 hours per week (flexible days)
Reporting to: Festival Director
Location: North West London
About the London Afghan International Film Festival
Funded by the British Film Institute (BFI), the London Afghan International Film Festival is a new festival led by Paiwand, taking place at the Tricycle Theatre Cinema in Kilburn between the 24th and 26th July 2015. The Film Festival aims to explore the narratives of Afghan refugee, asylum seeking and migrant communities or issues relating to the rich cultural, political and social history of Afghanistan. Paiwand is excited to be showcasing and celebrating diverse and high quality Afghan films, as well as introducing Afghan cinema to a wider audience.
About Afghan Association Paiwand
Afghan Association Paiwand (Paiwand) is a multicultural refugee community organisation that serves the holistic needs of the asylum seeking, refugee and migrant communities in North and North West London. Paiwand’s mission is to improve and enhance the quality of life of these groups upon arriving and settling in the UK, through free advocacy services, mental health counselling, education initiatives, community youth and art projects, housing provision for unaccompanied minors and mentoring for young people.
The Film Festival Volunteer role
Paiwand is seeking a part time volunteer to offer marketing and communications support in the run up to the Film Festival. The volunteer will work from Paiwand’s main office in Hendon, assisting with the social media strategy (including writing web content), developing mailing lists, research, publicity and festival logistics.
- Excellent communication skills, both written & verbal
- Experience of arts/events management, PR, social media, or marketing
- Willingness to take initiative and be creative
- Ability to work in a small team
To apply for this role please send a CV and cover letter to Paiwand’s Festival Director Kate Duffy at firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteer Mentor – Young Refugees Mentoring Project
About the Young Refugees Mentoring Project:
Paiwand’s Mentoring Project is funded by Lloyds TSB and Harrow Council. It aims to address the specific needs of young refugees, asylum seekers and unaccompanied minors in Northwest London who are in need of one-to-one and group social, academic and community support.
We are looking for volunteer mentors to work on a one-to-one basis with vulnerable young refugees, asylum seekers and unaccompanied minors, aged 11-18 years old, in North and Northwest London (Barnet, Brent, Haringey, Harrow). The large refugee communities residing in these boroughs point to a clear need to address the wellbeing of the young members of these communities. The young people referred to our project are at particular risk of the following:
• Academic underachievement;
• Social/school exclusion;
• Being NEET (Not in Education, Employment or Training);
• Involvement in Gang and criminal activities (including drug misuse);
• Mental health and emotional struggles.
In response, the Project aims to support, encourage and productively challenge young people to define and work towards their personal goals. The role will give volunteers an opportunity to become trained as mentors, and to gain experience working with young refugees with complex needs.
• To be passionate and motivated to improve the lives of vulnerable young refugees in Northwest London;
• Excellent listening skills;
• Experience of working with young children is an advantage, but not necessary;
• Volunteers should be able to travel to and meet at Paiwand’s office in Colindale and other areas of North London;
• Minimum 6 month commitment;
• Full training will be provided. Attendance is compulsory to complete the recruitment process.
• The role is subject to enhanced DBS disclosure.
To apply, please send a copy of your CV to Paiwand’s Mentoring Coordinator Kate Duffy on email@example.com.
For other volunteering positions with our various projects, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.